Monday, November 27, 2006

Please excuse Kara. She has been. . .

I have neglected my duties as a blogger for quite some time now. My problem is that I’ve committed myself to making a wedding dress for a friend in my ward, so I feel guilty spending time on anything else. It’s coming along, but too slowly for my liking. I’ve decided that most projects have four stages. Of course, the intensity of the project makes a big difference on how quickly I advance through these stages.

INSPIRATION: I’m really good at this part. This is where most of the fun happens and if I am sufficiently enamored with the idea, I might just make it through the remaining three stages.

DESIGN: I’m talking about the technical part of design (as opposed to the creative part). Turning your ideas into a workable pattern is often the most difficult part of the process. This is especially true for complex projects (for example, a wedding dress with 20 pieces making up the bodice alone~ aghh!).

EXECUTION: By the time the pattern is designed, the actual execution is boring. I’ve already made this dress two times over in muslin and the thrill of working with the actual fabric is cancelled out by the fear of cutting something wrong and running out of material. (I am currently on the verge of this step.)

ENDURING TO THE END: After the project finally takes shape, it’s hard to be patient enough to complete all the finishing work—careful hems, hand-stitching the lining into place, hooks and eyes, etc. At least knowing that this dress is for someone else will help me make it through to the finish line.

Anyway, just thought I’d let you know what I’ve been up to and promise to write more soon.

P.S. Go Cougars! I followed the second half of Saturday's game via text messages, and then watched the final play on YouTube.

4 Comments:

Blogger annzy said...

you are crazy ~wedding dresses make people crazy!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Can't wait to see the final product! Again - you amaze me!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

Not quite crazy yet, but getting there. I just wish this wedding wasn't during the Christmas season. I'm not going to let it ruin my Christmas, but it's almost certain to stifle it. :-(

BTW- the bride is from Boise. She's from Tina's home ward.

9:06 AM  
Blogger vine street said...

WOW Kara! So you made up the pattern yourself, I take it? You have to promise to take a picture of the dress before you send it off to the bride....I want to see it!!!!!

miss you.

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home