Friday, May 19, 2006

The Race Is On. . .

The other day, my friend Wendi and I agreed to have a blog-off about a funny moment we shared in the car on the way back from the temple. She has posted an entry as a guest contributor on All Things Cropstar, maintained by our mutual friend Christy, who was also present on this occasion. I am a day late, but I have not yet read Wendi’s entry and am now recording my own version of the events.

Catch Me If You Can
I am sure you all remember the game of chase from your elementary school playground. The third grade girls would lure the boys away from their games of kickball or soccer to be chased, and then conveniently caught by the boy they thought was cutest.

My third-grade-self did not get the memo. I distinctly remember the pride I felt in being the only girl on the playground who the boys could not catch. (Imagine my surprise, when my obviously superior sprinting abilities did not prevail against the other girls at the Field Day races.)

The other day, some friends and I were reminiscing about those playground days, and I discovered that I wasn’t the only girl who thought the goal was to actually out-run the boys and avoid capture. As all of us are still single (and going strong), we concluded that this early form of coquetry might have relevant application to adult life.

Some of the most amazing girls I know are single. They’ve been out there playing the game of ‘chase’ for quite a while and have yet to be ‘caught’ because they keep out-running all the available guys. Most boys take one look at these girls and conclude that either they can’t catch them, or aren’t willing to put forth the effort it would take. Unfortunately for the boys who are willing to make an attempt, amazing girls are also skilled in executing effective evasive maneuvers, such as serving a mission or moving away for a terrific internship or job opportunity.

The difference between my third-grade self and all the amazing girls I know is that they now know the goal is to be caught–they just aren’t willing to sacrifice the equally important goal of running their hearts out. We’re not trying to avoid capture—we’re just waiting for someone to come along who can keep up!


I think the world of you girls, and I think you deserve far more credit than you know. Not that life is a race, but if it were—you would be winning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home