Monday, March 27, 2006

Feats of Great Thrift

What’s the old pioneer adage that is quoted regularly in Relief Society? “Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.” I always feel guilty when I hear this admonition because I know full well that, although I have plenty of stuff already, when I come across that perfect _____ that is just so me, and only costs $___, I am going to purchase it. The good news is that I love thrift stores; so the number that follows the “$” is generally less than 20.

In spite of my compulsion to purchase, I do feel a great sense of satisfaction when my shopping is in harmony with the wisdom of my pioneer ancestry. Last Saturday, I attained new heights of thriftiness when I hung curtains in my kitchen. I am really proud of these curtains because they are quite chic and probably the thriftiest thing I’ve ever made.

The top layer is a retro pre-fab lace curtain purchased at Savers. The green under-layer was also a Savers purchase. It started its life as a tacky tablecloth with a funky lace border. I purchased it for the lace—to tack on the edge of a tank-top, for layering (see image 1). At Christmas, the lace-less tablecloth turned out to be the perfect color for our Christmas breakfast décor, a Wilson-sisters tradition (see image 2). And finally, the tablecloth was the perfect size to cut in half and sew onto the back of the aforementioned lace curtains presently hanging in my kitchen. I love them.


(pictures to follow soon)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are the pictures?

11:00 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

My camera is in the shop. I should take some pics with my roommate's camera this weekend.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home