Thursday, March 09, 2006

Boots and Boats

To the lovely ladies who have commented on this blog to date:

Your skills of persuasion amaze me. I have actually considered purchasing a $250 pair of shoes as an inheritance for the children I will certainly have once the boots secure me a husband. These cowboys boots are obviously superior to a pair of
ruby slippers! (sold at Christie’s for: $600,000)

You have altered my entire boot-life-paradigm. Amazing! Your finely-honed skills lead me to question why you are all working in the public sector. With the exception of
Ann, we may all be working far below our potential.

As it is, we do work for Uncle Sam and are political junkies to some degree (especially Ann). Therefore, I would like to abruptly change the subject of this entry and pose a political question:

In what ways do you see the port security issue as similar/different than airport security?

(Please do not be dissuaded by the suspiciously short-answer-exam sound of this question. I am just perplexed by the issue and thinking about writing my congress-people—but I want to make sure I’m not missing something or misinformed before I do.)

I have been surprised that congress (purportedly with strong constituent backing) is moving so aggressively in a direction that seems to be so counterintuitive. Isn’t port security the larger issue, which remains ridiculously insufficient whether a company in Dubai purchases the right to park a few boats in our harbors or not?

Thoughts anyone? Insight?

If not, we can just talk about red cowboy boots.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kara said...

I guess I am the only one impassioned by this issue.

I think it may have something to do with my visit to the ports in Singapore where Jim Mortensen and Jeppeson critiqued the port security and discussed potential implications.

11:03 AM  
Blogger cropstar said...

'Port security' is neither 'port' nor 'security'... Discuss!

I plead ignorance. I don't listen to NPR very often nor do I read newspapers. My only pathetic source of news (if you can call it that) is the 5 minutes of the early morning news I watch while I'm getting ready for work. If you've ever seen our Las Vegas news anchors you know that nothing reliable or important could ever be uttered from their lips.

4:58 PM  
Blogger annzy said...

Oh this is what I get for loosing the link to your site ~I have said several firier things on this subject to those unforunate to be in ear shot. ~We are esentially further ailinating a group of people we should be convincing that we aren't so bad and a lot of your cousins live here so please don't do drastic violent acts against us. I hate to admit the fact that the Whitehouse was the voice of reason on this issue and that congress will evedently eat their own poo if that is what the constituance says they are into instead of being the leadership they were elected to be.
~clearly don't get me started on this issue i am not happy about it.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

Agreed. This has been a display of bi-partisan politics at their worst. The Dems saw an opportunity to one-up Bush on the national security issue and they ran with it-- regardless of the fact that they were DEAD WRONG.

It's very upsetting. I was so disappointed that so few of our elected officials stood their ground in making, what seems to me, the obvious choice on a critical issue.

In addition, when the story first emerged the media focused on the insight of technocrats--who know the issues and where the real vulnerabilities lie. But when Congress started playing hardball, I didn't hear anything from anyone who really knows the issues. Everything presented in the media was strawman rhetoric. (Chyleen would be proud)

The worst part of it all is that congress probably did more damage to national security in one fail swoop, and while positioning themselves as the true protectors.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nice information....I too bought a pair of nike shoes last week at a cheaper price

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home