Monday, January 01, 2007

Christmas 2006


Well, Christmas vacation is almost over for me—but not quite. I thought I’d post about Christmas now, and then follow with the after-Christmas events when I return from vacation.

Every family has memorable Christmas traditions. In my family we have had little, one-serving boxes of cold cereal for breakfast on Christmas morning for three generations. About ten years ago, my sister and I started a new Christmas breakfast tradition when we gave my Mom placemats for Christmas. We decorated for the cereal breakfast instead of leaving the placemats wrapped under the tree. Every year since then my sister(s) and I have gotten up early and transformed the dining room for Christmas morning. Each year is different and we’ve been going for several years now.

This was my first year doing Christmas breakfast without my sister Jeni. She spent Christmas with her in-laws this year. My sister-in-law was also out of town, so the breakfast was executed with my sisters Suzanne (14) and Emily (8). This was Emily’s first year to help with the breakfast. She was thrilled to be involved! When we went to the store she told all the employees how she was helping with Christmas breakfast this year. Thinking in terms of food, the store employees always asked what we were making, to which she cheerfully responded, “It’s nativity” (the theme for the year).

Without the extra hands and inspiration, this year wasn’t quite as over-the-top as usual, but it still turned out beautifully.


The overall view:
The lighting wasn't fantastic for the picture, but the navity looked so lovely with the bottom light on the chandelier shining down over the star.


Some details:

Th star is made from gold foil wrapping paper (from Target). It turned out wel and looked quite metalic.

We bleached the fabrics to give them a faded look and added some detail with bleach pens.

I found this pretty little pear-shaped dish for .75 cents at Savers.

My brother Bryan made orange scones to go with our cereal breakfast. They were a hit, especially with a drizzle of orange icing. I made another batch the next day!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great tradition..once I started reading about the cereal, it all came back to me and I remember you telling us all about this in high school. How fun!!

We finally got back in town yesterday around midnight. Whew. So nice to be gone, but so nice to also come home.

Let's talk soon!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home