Friday, September 01, 2006

POOL Report


So, we got to go to the POOL tradeshow. It was definitely worth the work to put together the little proposal (and that was fun in and of itself). We handed out some magazines, restocked the magazine shelves in the magazine lounge area and saw a lot of pretty cool stuff while browsing around. I didn’t bring my camera with me, but wish I did. (The above picture was brought to you by the letter ‘C’. C is for Christy Cropper.)

Here are some of the things I wish I brought a camera for:

db clay: These three guys make wallets out of gaffer tape. They started out using duct tape and have made, literally, thousands of duct tape wallets. They are very cool. I encourage you to purchase one. I believe I am going to purchase the "This Sky" wallet to someday give to a lucky guy with good taste. (If you know/are a lucky guy with good taste, let me know and I will consider his/your credentials.) The wholesale price is just $25 with a min. order of 12. If you want to order 12+ wallets I will email you the form. (Can you tell I think these guys are cool?)

U.S. Artisans: I really liked the suede ballet shoes. They are classic mary-jane style and look absolutely comfortable. The shoes are not cheap, but their major selling point is that they are entirely hand-made in the U.S. Cool. (And the designer was really nice and has an appreciation for pearl buttons. How can you not like someone who appreciates little pearl buttons?)

Report Shoes: Several nice shoes at nice prices, although the owner wasn’t as nice as pearl-button girl. Some of my favorites of the nice shoes I saw aren’t on the website yet, but check out tab 6. I think I might need some red "Avants".




Preloved: Although I can claim Canada as my home and native land, I am quite upset that these folks only have stores up north. Their emmo* is to deconstruct vintage clothing and create one-of-a-kind pieces available for purchase in their Canadian stores. If you are planning a trip to Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal, you should definitely look them up. If you are not, you should check out their website anyway.




JW Los Angeles: Some of their designs were nice, but I was particularly enamored with a particular lace fabric they used. I think I will email them and ask if I can purchase a few yards for a particular white dress I’d like to make. (An FYI to lucky guys with good taste: This particular white dress is not that white dress; I’m not the kind of girl who plans or sews anything prematurely, although I occasionally purchase gifts prematurely -- such as wallets and sweet retro ties.)


Thank you ReadyMade.


* I know that ‘emmo’ is not actually a word and that M. O. stands for mode of operation, but I think ‘emmo’ would be a terrific word. This marks the official beginning of my crusade to encourage general use of this word.

2 Comments:

Blogger vine street said...

wow, what a great time it sounds like you had. the red avant shoes are a must-have, definitely.

did you know I'm a pearl-appreciater as well?

yep.

11:13 AM  
Blogger bex said...

thanks for the run-down of the show! I love POOL and getting to sneak peak all the new stuff that you will be seeing in stores in a few months. Plus - great taste. I love the dbclay guys too.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home